Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Deaf Day

Hello everyone!

Well, most of you don't know but I have become very close to one of
the ship members. Her name is Destiny. Destiny is a great person, she
has helped almost the entire ship board community learn ASL. Oh, I guess
I should mention that Destiny is deaf, and brought an interpreter along
with her on this trip.
So, every other day (or A days we call them on the ship) we have
deaf dinner which is basically people can come and eat a meal with
Destiny and we use only sign. Every other day after that (or B days) we
have ASL club. Here Kara and Destiny teach members of the ship board
community ASL.
Well, as a special education major I had taken a class before, but
ASL clubs and dinners have been some of my favorite times on the ship.
As a club we decided to have a deaf day. So today all the members of ASL
club wore ear plugs and turned our voices off. This was so much fun! I
was able to experience a small portion of what if feels like to be deaf.
I think the hardest part about deaf day was not talking. I know that it
is our main source of conversation and interaction, but how often do you
really think about not being able to speak? I know until today I had not
really thought about it. I think the next hardest part was realizing how
hard it is to lip read or sit at a table and be clueless about what is
going on. Imagine sitting at Thanksgiving dinner table where every one
is yelling across the table and laughing. Now imagine that but on "mute"
like a TV. It is really difficult to have a good time and laugh and
enjoy the company of other people when you have no idea what is going on.
I have learned so much today about deaf culture, and the struggles
that people who are deaf encounter. Tonight we will end with an ASL
dinner for all of the participants and then have ASL club. Here we will
reflect on the days events and share some experiences and enlightenment
about what it is like to be deaf in a very hearing world.
I know that I have learned a lot from this day, and I hope that
even though you all were not here to experience it that you can take a
few things away from this blog.
1. take time to speak to people who are different than you. You
could be missing out on a great person if you don't.
2. Be patient. It is just as hard for some people who are deaf to
work up the courage to communicate with you so be patient. It will be a
blast!
3. I think this is the most important....HAVE FUN! Take
opportunities given to you to experience new and different situations.
enjoy the struggle to try to communicate. It might be difficult and
frustrating at first, but by the end of it you can look back and
say...WOW I did that and it was fun!

I'm going to go and finish out deaf day with a bang! I love my ASL Club
shipmates. They have made my experience on the ship that much more
entertaining, and I know that this new language I'm learning will stick
with me because of them.

Bon Voyage :-)

2 comments:

  1. I just found this Courtney :) I'm so glad you enjoyed Deaf day! Honestly, ASL club is one of the parts I miss most about SAS---not very many times in my life have I found SO many people willing (and committed) to learning sign language. It was the best experience! :)

    Miss you! Hope to see you soon, maybe this upcoming summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one great trip! Learning ASL is a total eye opener to a new world of understanding and chance of meeting a new group of people. I’ve never been in any ASL dinners, but love to attend in the future. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the event and hope you inspire more people to join!

    Lynelle

    ReplyDelete