Thursday, March 1, 2012

South Africa days 2 & 3

On the second day my roommate Hannah and I decided to spend the morning together. She and I both had field trips in the afternoon so we just stayed around Cape Town for the day. Our first piece of agenda was to sleep in just a little bit. So we slept in until 9 which was AMAZING!  Sometimes on the ship we can feel so sleep deprived with all of the time changes, homework, and fun stuff to do. So sleeping in, even for just 2 extra hours, was a great luxury. Once we got up for the day we got ready relatively quickly. We headed out into South Africa by about 9:30.

                Waterfront was our main goal for the day. Waterfront is a shopping center filled with any type of store you could imagine. Hannah and I spent the morning exploring the center. We walked through a place called the Red Barn that was full of native merchandise. The mall was very American with a few spins .I did buy a few souvenirs and wander around soaking in the beautiful sunshine.  I think my favorite part of the morning was not necessarily being outside or even in South Africa, but instead just spending time with my roommate.  

                For lunch Hannah and I ate at a restaurant called Mugg and Bean. This restaurant had cheeseburgers and fries which we had been craving. So we both ordered a burger, but they both had a South African twist to them. I cannot really describe what tasted so different about these burgers but  they were delicious! Once we were finished eating we hung out outside for the afternoon. I know it doesn’t sound very eventful, but it was just enjoyable to hang out with Hannah.

                We both went back so that I could pack for my overnight. I went on a township homestay while in Cape Town. This was a great experience. I went to this township where I gained a ”mama”.  Her name was Mama Titi. She had two older children, 27 & 33, so it was just me and my mama all night. We really had a chance to talk and get to know each other. Titi told me all about how it was growing up in a nearby township with no water or electricity with 14 siblings. I got to help her cook dinner; we had chicken with gravy and potatoes, sweet potatoes, and spinach. The coolest part was that I got to eat with my fingers! It was an interesting conversation to discuss why they eat with their fingers and why people in America don’t. It was a delicious meal. I got to meet a few of her neighbors and play with their children. She even let me help her pick lottery numbers for her! It was a great night. We went to bed around 10 and I didn’t have to get up until 8 the next morning. My mama made me homemade oatmeal and tea, and then I had to pack my things and be on my way. Don’t worry she and I exchanged addresses so we can keep in touch and she told me that I was welcome anytime I wanted. It is such a cool feeling to know that I have somewhere to stay in South Africa and Ghana!

                Once I got back the third morning I hurried back to the ship and got ready to go to my field trip for my anthropology class. I went to a place called a San Tribe Reserve. Here I learned about how the San people are still living today. I was able to see firsthand through our guides how the San people live, work, gather food, and find their spouses. While at the reserve I got to see wild Zebras and Ostriches which was so awesome. I think my favorite zebra I saw that day was the zebra that was pregnant. She was beautiful. It was a very interesting field trip. I’m really glad that I went. Although, there is one thing that was so funny and exciting to me; while I was here I saw a John Deer tractor and I was so excited! J I was so excited that I took a picture with it lol! The tour guides, who were really nice, laughed at me while I took the picture. They asked where I was from and I told them a small farm town in Ohio. Then they understood and laughed even harder. One of them even offered to let me drive. Of course I said no, but it was still pretty funny.

                Once I got back from my field trip Hannah and I went out and ordered some dessert and Skyped our families. It was so awesome to see my parents and my brother! I haven’t seen my brother since I left in the middle of January so it was great to see his face. I had a great two days and it made me just as excited for the next day when I would go on a Safari.     

No comments:

Post a Comment