Saturday, March 31, 2012

Vietnam Days 3,4,&%

                These next few days I spent in Ho Chi Minh City exploring and touring around the sites and museums.

                On the third day I hung out with Hannah. She and I decided to explore the city by foot and see all of the sites from both recent history and past history. We began our day by walking. We had a map with a few circles of things that we wanted to stop at and visit. While we were walking I noticed a park to our left. So we decided to stop and walk around and of course take pictures! While we were exploring the park I again noticed a group of people dancing. Hannah and I walked a little closer and realized that it was a show choir! I got so excited. I sat there watching them in awe, I could not believe that I was watching another group practice in the park. All of a sudden a flood of memories from Wavaires came back to me. I could help but laugh out loud and smile. When their practice was over I was actually given the opportunity to speak with some of them. The girls I spoke to were telling me that everyone in the group is a music major at the College of Ho Chi Minh City and that they were preparing for a concert. It was a great conversation even through the language barrier. As the group left we walked with them to finish our conversation and move on to our first official stop on the map. Our first stop was the War Remnants Museum. Except it was closed for lunch! We had spent so much time walking there that we showed up right as they were closing for lunch! 

                So we decided that it was time for lunch too. Hannah and I walked toward our next stop. On the way we found a cool little café that is known for their Vietnamese style pizza. So Hannah and I decided to stop in and try it. We were the only SAS people there which make for a great experience in itself. The language barrier was a challenge, but nothing that pointing to what we wanted on the menu could not handle. The pizza was delicious! I don’t remember what exactly was on it, but it doesn’t really matter because it was very tasty. After lunch we headed down to the Notre Dame Cathedral. This church is beautiful. It is in the middle of a busy street that stands majestically as a remembrance of the past. I was able to go in and see the tall ceilings and simple decoration. As Hannah and I were inside we noticed a sign that told of the services it would be having during Holy week. As I read this sign I realized that during Holy week I will be in China where it is still technically illegal to practice Christianity. This was not only very thought provoking, but also very sad for me. This will be the first Easter that I will not be able to openly celebrate.     

                After the Cathedral we visited the post office. I know that sounds crazy, but this old British Colonial building is one that everyone has to go see while they are here. The building has marble floors, tall cathedral style ceilings, and beautiful paintings on the walls. It was a quick stop to purchase stamps, but a stop that was beautiful and a great way to see what Vietnam was like when all buildings in the city used to look like this.

                After the Post Office we made a stop at the Opera House and the City Building. While we could not go into either of them we were able to take pictures and explore the outside of the buildings and landscape. They were stunning buildings.  Although it was very warm outside, I did not want to leave this historical district. However, I needed to in order to clean up before my evening plans

                After dinner Hannah, Keyla, and I went to see a Water Puppet Show. This was hilarious! Oh my goodness! I could not understand a word of it (obviously it was in Vietnamese), but I was able to understand what was going on through the actions of the puppets. Basically a water puppet show is where there is a small pool of water that puppets pop up out of the water and act out all actions. Then, there are about six people on the side of the stage who speak for the puppets and play instruments. In all it was one of the most entertaining things I have seen in a long time!

                The next day a small group of friends and I went to the War Remnants Museum. This museum was intense. The whole museum is about the Vietnam War. The museum has Anti-war posters from all over the world, pictures of during and post war, and the long term effects the war has had on the Vietnamese population. It was really difficult to walk through this museum and see the opposite side opinion of the Vietnam War. The most impactful part of the museum was the room that held all the pictures of the lasting effects since the war. All of the pictures were of children with birth defects whose parents were affected by Agent Orange. It was heart breaking. I’m still trying to process it all so I don’t really have much more to stay.

                After that I went shopping. I went to the Ben Than market which is an indoor, outdoor market that is full of both tourist and non-tourist items. I got my shop on!!!!! LOL My group spent a good portion of the afternoon shopping. It’s so tiring because the whole time you are bargaining and arguing and fighting off people who are trying to sell you something! I definitely enjoy shopping and bargaining especially in the Ben Than market. It was a blast, but exhausting! One of the best parts about the market is the fresh fruit and fruit juices! I think my favorite juice was the mango juice I had. I just loved everything about the Ben Than market. It made me very excited for the rest of Asia!

                On the last day I just got some lunch and picked up my dresses! They are beautiful. I cannot wait to wear them! Well, that is about it! My last few days in Vietnam were kind of chill but so much fun. I enjoyed the experience and the country in general. I will be in China actually tomorrow! I cannot wait to be there. It is going to be a great experience. Wish me luck traveling independently and I will see you all later!  

No comments:

Post a Comment