Monday, January 30, 2012

Amazon!

                Well, we are currently traveling down the Amazon River. It has been a great experience. The weather is very hot and muggy but nevertheless, it is gorgeous. Yesterday while we were eating dinner it started to rain and it was quite literally a wall of rain. It was incredible! We could not see anything but water just pouring down. I have never seen anything like it before in my life. The rain really helped cool down the weather and it made for a beautiful sun set. I have really enjoyed my time on the Amazon so far, and I can’t wait to see what the next four days bring.

                While we have been on the Amazon we have had the opportunity to host three diplomats and their spouses on the ship. We met them yesterday morning and then have got to spend all day yesterday and today with them. It has been incredible. We have been able to hear what the U.S. Embassy does in Brazil. We have had Q & A sessions with each of them on individual and group basis. It has really been enlightening. As an Ambassador I was privileged to be chosen as one of the first hosts for Semester at Sea. As a host I showed one of the diplomats around the ship and relay made them feel welcome. It was a great honor to spend the day with them  and really get to ask them questions and hear their thoughts, stories about how they got to where they are, and any advice they have for us in when we are in Manaus.  

                I look forward to entering Brazil and taking the advice the diplomats gave us. It was a great privilege to work with them and I know that they are some people who will stick with me forever!  

1 comment:

  1. Very cool!!! Any alligators yet???? :) One of the little girls in my class made you and Buckeye a Valentine's Box so that kids could give you Valentines! They will be waiting for you when you return! :)

    ReplyDelete