Saturday, January 28, 2012

Welcome to Amazon!

                Well, today we reached the Amazon River! It is so strange to be here. The river is so wide that we can literally see no land. The only reason why we know we are even in the Amazon is because the water looks a little like chocolate milk because of all of the sediment, and it is REALLY muggy here. It is almost too muggy to eat outside which is one of my favorite parts of this journey.  Even though the water is not as pretty as the Atlantic Ocean it is still a really cool experience to say “Yeah, I’ve traveled down the Amazon” J

                Classes are going pretty well. It is a weird schedule simply because we don’t have weekends. Since we don’t have class when we are in port we go to school almost every day we are at sea. Therefore, I have no concept of what day it is, or even what time it is. We have already had two time changes in the week I have been on the ship. It can make it confusing as to what time it is back in Ohio. Yesterday we had a reading day. I love reading days! It is a day where we don’t have any classes and instead we just have the whole day to do homework; which is so awesome! I got to sleep in for the first time on the voyage and loved it. On Monday we also don’t have class. It is called Brazil day. See, there are three Brazilian Embassy members and their spouses coming on the ship tomorrow to speak with the students and get a sense of what life is like for a student on Semester at Sea. So we have the whole day off to spend time getting ready to dock in Manaus early Tuesday morning.

                 I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it on my blog or not so I will again. I was chosen to be an ambassador for Semester at Sea. I basically get the opportunity to interact personally with diplomats from all over the world. During the voyage we will have people from all over the world join us and sail with us for a certain amount of time. Here myself along with the thirty other people will give these diplomats tours, help introduce them to the ship board community, and any other task asked of me. I am going to have the opportunity to work personally with each of these people. So, tomorrow starts my first official job as an ambassador.

                I will get into Manaus, Brazil on Tuesday. I will get to spend 4 days there. I cannot wait to experience yet another country!

Bon Voyage J

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the Amazon...I've always wanted to experience it! Have a smooth sail to Ghana and watch out for Pythons!

    ReplyDelete