Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dolphins

 Yesterday was a typical Saturday for me. My days seem to drag on sometimes simply because I spend all day in class and the other half doing homework. After a normal day of homework and class I was more than ready for dinner with my group of friends. As we were walking to dinner I decided to step outside just for a minute, and that is when it all changed.

                As I was talking to another friend I ran into outside, someone yells DOLPHIN! We all ran over to the side of the ship. As we look over the edge there were 15 to 20 dolphins jumping in and out of the water! I was able to stand outside for almost 5 minutes watching this magnificent sight as we sailed past them.

                The sound of the ocean hitting the side of the ship was nothing but peaceful, while the soft smell of sea salt gave all of us outside a refreshing burst of energy. I stood there in awe of this wonder that is my classroom. I could not believe that I was standing outside on this 590 foot ship, with the wind gently blowing my hair, watching almost 20 dolphins play in the ocean like small children playing at recess. It was truly a site to see.

                Seeing the dolphins jumping reminded me of so many childhood memories; the freedom I felt when the bell rang, the wind in my face playing tag, and the sweet sounds of my friends playing. As I watched the dolphins I wondered if that was something that they felt too. Was our ship an obstacle in their game of tag? Or an obsolete moment while they swim free in this brilliant place they call home?

                In any case, it was definitely a moment of reflection when I could said “Wow, this is really my classroom; I’m really here”. I got to have a peaceful moment surrounded by fellow community members to watch a sight most people only ever dream of.

                I will be in Ghana tomorrow morning and I cannot wait to see what other kinds of moments I will have. All I know is that I need to take them as they come and be grateful for every single one of them.   

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU!! Thank you for your beautiful words that help me to see what you are seeing, feel what you are feeling! I could completely see in my minds eye, what you were. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you may have a chance to see the two B-W students who are in Ghana: Tiera Cummings and Kris Smeage!

    You've done a remarkable job of painting pictures for all of us with your descriptions of the activities and interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondeful jobexpressing how you feel and what you see..Very enjoyable.It was great to talk to you last night...Love always from Gpa

    ReplyDelete