Friday, February 24, 2012

Ghana Days 4 & 5

                On the 4th day in Ghana I went to Cape Coast to the Castles and Slave Dungeons. The car ride was very long to get there. It was 3 hours one way! We left at like 7 in the morning…gross! Once we got there though, it was something I could never forget.

                We visited Almena Castle and Cape Coast Castle. These castles are huge cinder block and brick buildings that held thousands of slaves in the 1500’s. Here we were given a tour of the two castles. We were shown cells that had no windows; where the prisoners were given no food, water, or clean air. It was heart wrenching to be inside these places knowing that so many people died in these places.

                One really cool thing that I remember was at Cape Coast Castle. There was a door called the door of no return which is where the slaves would go out to be sold onto ships to be taken to the U.S., Europe, or South America. They called the door this because no one ever came back through the door alive. Well, although I am unsure about the exact time and date, a very cool moment occurred that still gives me chills. Once the slave trades were ending and the castles had closed two people who had been enslaved in Cape Coast Castle had survived. These two people came back to Cape Coast to walk back through the door of no return to “return” to Cap Coast Castle. The door is  symbolically named  now the door of return.

                Although this was a long day I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed learning about the history of Ghana. It was of great heart ache to witness this place where so many horrible things happened. This again was one of those moments when I was not really sure what I feel after seeing it all. I think that when I come back to Ghana I would really like to go again and maybe then I could better understand everything that I felt and saw.

                On the last day in Ghana I went to a drumming and dancing workshop! It was so fun. I was able to sleep in for a little bit (which was nice) and then got up and ready for a day of traditional drumming. I went to the University of Ghana for this program. Here we met a man named Fred Tay and he showed us how to play Kpanlogo drums. I got to learn a few different types of hits, and two different rhythms to play. These two rhythms were so hard to grasp. Alone they were not bad to learn, but when you put them together it made it very hard to play! UGH I think I will leave it to the professionals. J

                On this trip I also learned how a Kpanlogo dance. This was so fun, but again I should leave it to the professionals. The whole trip was just about two and a half hours, but it was plenty of time. I really enjoyed learning yet another dance from a different country. These are definitely things I will keep forever. Oh, fun fact I bought a handmade professional Ghanaian Kpanlogo drum! So excited to bring it back to America. I’m not sure what I will do with it, but I will cross that bridge when I get there! Lol

                In all, I think that Ghana is my favorite country. I fell in love. I honestly did not want to leave at all. I feel so privileged to have had the opportunities I have had here in Ghana. I cannot wait to go back and experience more. I also, though, cannot wait to see what South Africa brings. So until then!

Bon Voyage J

No comments:

Post a Comment