Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ghana Day 1

**I just want to say before you all start reading this that while I love sharing my experiences with you there are some things that are personal or some things that are so difficult to comprehend that I cannot express all of my thoughts and feelings with you. This is one of those times. This experience has changed my life and I’m still processing. **

On my first day in Ghana I got to experience an opportunity of a lifetime.  In Greenville First United Methodist Church, my home church, has a sponsorship with a village in Ghana. This village is called Aworesu. In this village our church actually helped build a church. So, while in Ghana I decided to visit this village and see what exactly my church has done.

                I was able to get in contact with a pastor of the church, whose brother lives in Ohio, to take me to Aworesu and visit. On that first morning, I met Joe, my contact, at the port and together we traveled over an hour to Aworesu. While on the way I was staring out the window just soaking in everything around me. I could not believe all the people and buildings around me. Now, when I say buildings I really mean more like shacks. These shacks were 3 sides made of various scraps of wood found anywhere from the trash to random pieces from other structures that had been torn down. There were many people who were selling things on the street. I was in awe of the women and even some of the men who could carry things on their head. They were carrying jugs of water, trays of sunglasses, baskets of fruit, and anything else you could think of. It was so strange. I mean you read about it in books, but it is something totally different to see it in person. One part of the trek was very strange. There were many toll roads, however, the places where the toll roads were was where the roads seemed to be in the worst condition. In fact, there was a stretch of about 10 miles or so where the road, the barriers, and the sidewalks were all this strange orange-stardust color from the dirt. I actually didn’t even realize that was in fact what it was until almost the very end when I asked if the stone was something native to Ghana and Joe said no it was all man made. Then I began to see and then I thought oh duh!!!!!  There was a thick layer of smog and dust in the air.

                In general I had so many thoughts going through my head. Even now I have a difficult time comprehending all of the sites that I saw. I cannot even begin to explain the heart ache, pain, and helplessness that I felt. Not necessarily helplessness for myself but the helplessness that I want to help them but have no way and no understanding of how to help.

                Once I arrived at the church I was immediately overjoyed by what I saw. Oh my goodness, it was beautiful! I mean this was no Sistine Chapel, but this church was beautiful. I think that much of the beauty came from the feeling of God that you could immediately feel as we got out of the car. I could definitely feel the Holy Spirit everywhere. I got to take pictures of the church, the sign, and everything around it. I could not believe that this was really happening to me. I almost felt like I was in a dream world. The church was made with cinder blocks, has a dirt floor, tin roof, and glassless windows. There were about 8 pews or so, an old desk and chair, and a vibrantly painted poster of Passover hung on the wall. That was it, and that was all it needed. You could feel God working in this church, and you could feel that God’s work was being done here and in the surrounding area. The church is only about 200 feet off the road. It has a dirt path cleared from the road, and the rest of it was surrounded by bushes. I now understand why this village is said to be “in the bush”. It was incredible to see the vision on Joe and Pastor Eric’s faces as they described the next steps in this project. I think one of the most incredible points I understood was that the Refuge chapel is an under construction working chapel. I love how the church members don’t mind the fact that it is not finished. All they want is a place to worship the Lord and now they have it!

Once we saw the church, Joe asked if I wanted to go into the village to meet some of the church members. Of course I said yes! We started walking down the dirt road and turned into a little area with just one or two houses. Joe introduced me to the Village Chief who watched over the whole village. I had to ask permission to enter the village. Once Joe explained to the Chief who I was and what I was doing he embraced me in a hug and opened his arms wide welcoming me to the village. We then continued our journey into the village. As we walked into the village I tried to take it all in. The village was surrounded by coconut trees, bushes, and other various trees. I could see some tips of homes through breaks in the trees. Walking in I could hear the sound of children laughing. I could vaguely see children running around at what I thought was a school.

I was able to meet about 20 or so members of the church and other village members. Everyone was so nice and welcoming to me. I was able to tour almost the whole village. While touring around one of the members offered me fresh coconut water. It was delicious. Although I have never been a big coconut fan I LOVED this coconut! While I was eating the coconut I was able to play with the children. I think one of the funniest things was when I was trying to speak with the children. The children just started laughing at me because they thought I could not speak at all simply because I couldn’t understand or speak Ewe.

I then went to another village to meet Joe’s family. It was incredible! It was so nice to see and meet the people who have shaped his life. It was a great pleasure to meet them and hear a little bit about life in another village.

After that I went back to the ship and thanked Joe for the opportunity he had given me in seeing this village. This was one of the best experiences of my life. I was really impacted by what I saw and experienced. I’m still processing all of the feelings that I experienced. I do know though that when I return to America this is something I will definitely want to talk about with First Church.   

3 comments:

  1. Courtney, first of all I apologize for not getting to your blog sooner. I've been missing some very interesting posts, and I am not inspired to go and read the rest of them. I did read your latest blog about the waves rocking the ship and you flying across the floor. That must have been a wonderful sight. LOL.

    All kidding aside, you are having an experience this semester that very few ever get to experience in a whole life time. Your trip to Ghana and reading about the church that First UMC helped to build is inspiring.

    The sermon theme for Lent is Journey to Hope. I think you are definitely experiencing a very real journey to hope and I intend to share some of your comments with the congregation. I'll be looking for more pictures, especially the ghana church pics.

    Blessings young lady,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Just re-read my comment. I of course meant to say I am NOW inspired...

    Now I need to get inspired to get some sermon writing done....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, do you have any pics of you at the church? I'd love to share some pics during worship. In fact, the only pics I can find are from the beginning of your trip. Get a bunch uploaded. Blessings, Joe

    ReplyDelete