Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My final day in Brazil

On the last day in port I did something that was truly an inspiration. I went with Destiny and Kara to a school for the deaf. At first our day started out really rocky. We got out of the port and needed a taxi to take us to the school. One problem (well actually 2) first, we didn’t have an exact address for the school and second we didn’t speak Portuguese to explain where we wanted to go. We met this very nice man who did speak English and was willing to help us describe where we wanted to go. Once we got into the cab the driver was fantastic! He spent a good half an hour with us trying to find the school. He even got out 5 different times to ask some of the locals if they knew where the school was. We FINALLY found it! The cab driver was just as excited as we were to finally be at our destination.

Once we got into the school we had just as many issues. I should first tell you that Destiny is deaf and Kara is her interpreter. So they were interested in going to see what the difference in sign was, and I wanted to go to have the experience of seeing other types of sign since I would too like to be an interpreter one day.  OK so back to the story….we had an awful time trying to tell the employees at the school what we wanted. We finally met a wonderful lady who spoke a little English. When we finally got across what we were wanting to do and done explaining why the people were so nice! The lady who spoke a little English started giving us a tour.

          During the tour we met two teachers who were both deaf. Once we introduced ourselves to them they were so happy and walked with us during the tour to talk to us all. I was behind a video camera for most of the time, but it was incredible to see how hard we all worked to communicate with each other. They were all so nice. While we were talking there came multiple occasions when our signs did not match up and we had to either fingerspell or go through the lady who spoke both English and knew Portuguese sign. ASL and Portuguese sign is very different! I wish that I could explain on here the differences but that is impossible because it is a visual thing. We figured it out every time though. I think the funniest part of it all was that any one time we could have as many as 4 languages going on at once: spoken English, spoken Portuguese, Portuguese sign, and ASL. It got very confusing at times, but most of the time it was just sheer enjoyment. This was honestly one of the most inspiring experiences of my life.  Even though it was a struggle to try to communicate this experience was something that I will never forget. I am so excited to go back to America and continue my education in ASL. This helps me solidify my passion not only for ASL but for students with disabilities. I cannot wait to show people in America (at BW in my ASL class) to show them how different the world of sign is in each country!         
            In general my trip to Brazil was amazing. I would say that in Dominica I felt like I was on vacation simply because we did all the “tourist” activities and were only there for two days. I feel like here in Brazil I felt like a traveler. I got to experience not only the touristy parts of Manaus, but I got to experience the local spots that tourist don’t get to or want to see. I also got to experience not only the happy and profitable side of Manaus, but I got to see the struggling side as well. The point of this journey around the world is to have a more open and less skewed view of the world that we are living in. I believe that in Manaus I got to start that journey. I got to see a less skewed view of what we think of the world. Yes, I got to see the Amazon and the Opera House, but I also got to see the Shanty Towns and the struggling school systems. This journey is going to be one that will stay with me forever. I knew that I would have the time of my life on this ship. This ship has a dream of having its participants help change the world,  but I had no idea just how much this trip would change me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment