Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ghana day 3

                Today I went on a field trip to a school. We went to a school called Morning Star. This was a service visit organized through SAS. We left around 9 and traveled about a half hour to the school. This school is one of the best private schools in the country. When we got there we were greeted right away by the director of the school. She was a very nice woman who told us how the school was started. The school was actually started by her mother and now herself and her two siblings run the school. She said it was something that her mother was so passionate about and that passion was passed down to the three children.

                Once the introduction was finished we got to split up into groups and tour the school. We got to talk to the teachers and students. It was so interesting to see how passionate all the children were about their education. Almost all the children we spoke to knew how precious education was and told us all about what they were going to go to college for. While touring the school I had the opportunity to meet a girl named Hilda. She is in the 5th grade and is hearing impaired. I was able to sign with her some and really talk about life in Ghana and at the school as a student who has impaired hearing. It was an awesome experience; I even learned a few new signs!

                Another cool place we got to go was the cooking lab. Here I got to help make a dish made of rice, corn starch, and water. It was a very sticky mess that I helped dish into balls for the students to take home to their families. I also stopped in a 3rd grade class and they took a picture with my stuffed bear for my vicarious voyage project. It was interesting to see how similar yet how different their curriculum was for 3rd grade compared to America.  After touring the school we got to play soccer with the kids! It was so fun. I mean, our team lost by 1 point, but the school’s team was really good. They play soccer almost every day for gym. Yes, they have gym every day!

                Speaking of differences between American schools and this school; there many of them. First, they have gym every day. Second, every student learns an instrument. Third, every student learns at least 2 languages. They all speak one language and then are taught English and one of the choice. Finally, the school makes them participate in at least one after school program. I could not believe all of these differences. It is so strange to me that this is what Ghanaian schools are emphasizing while American schools are cutting them out.

                Once we played soccer we ate lunch, and then unfortunately had to leave. It was a great experience. I really got to talk to a lot of students and see better what life is like in Ghana for a school aged person. Our day was not yet over though.

                Our tour guide took us to a public school to see the difference. Wow was there a difference. This school did not have nearly as many supplies or teachers or anything. The kids were so fun though. We had the opportunity to visit a few classrooms and speak with some of the students. It was interesting to hear the difference of their future compared to that of Morning Star school. We only spent about a half hour at the school because our tour guide had one more school to show us.

                This school is called UniPra and wow. This school was started by a man who noticed that students in his village were not being educated. The school is honestly one room  much smaller than a standard  classroom, divided in half by make shift walls. The students had almost no school supplies and the teachers were volunteers. This school broke my heart. I could not believe that these students were being educated with so little. It made me think about what the rest of their lives would be like. Many of the students here told us how they wanted to be doctors and teachers, but in our heads we ( the SAS students) were thinking how true could that really be? It was just very sad. SAS did collect some things for them during our time in Ghana and the tour guide took it back to the school on our last day there. I’m not sure what happened but I’m sure the kids loved all the new crayons and books they received. I just know that there has to be something more to do for them. I got the contact information for the school and the tour guide who showed it to us, and I know when I get back to America I really want to do something for this school.

                After that I went back to the ship, but just for a brief moment. I had yet again another amazing opportunity. I actually got to go back to Aworesu and Refuge Chapel to worship with them! It was amazing. When I first arrived I went back into the village and met a few members who were not there the first day because they were at work. Joe told me that when they found out I had been there they were quite upset that they had not been there to meet me! I couldn’t help but laugh a little at that thought. Here I am just a girl from a small town and all of these villagers want to meet me! J The village looked so different at night. While I couldn’t see anything, the village was full of life. There were people everywhere, fires, the smell of people cooking; it was such an awesome experience to see the village in two different times of the day.  Once I met some other members Joe took me up to the church where we were greeted by his wife and the wife of the pastor.  While the guys went to figure out why the generator wasn’t turning on the ladies tried to teach me some African drumming and dancing, and I should definitely leave the dancing to the professionals! I mean they were laughing out of good fun because I was laughing at myself, but it was just hilarious.  

                Before I knew it the service was ready to start. I sat up with Joe so that he could translate what we talked about in this bible study. There was singing, a small sermon on the word of God, an offering, and a closing song or two. It lasted about an hour and a half and it was one of the coolest things I have ever had the pleasure of participating in. At the end of it everyone came up and embraced me thanking me for coming back. I was able to speak with the villagers on a broader basis with the help of Joe. When it was about time for us to go I took a picture with the whole congregation that I had worshiped with, and then one with the pastors of the church. As I got in the cab people were still coming up and saying goodbye for the second and third time. It was so difficult to leave; I just wanted to stay longer. As the taxi pulled away I could see the faint motion of everyone waving goodbye to me. It was such a surreal moment. I could not believe that I had just had this experience.

Again, I’m still processing and figuring out what I’m feeling so I apologize if this part seems a little distant. This was just something very personal to me and I want to keep some of it that way while other parts I want to save for when I return. If I tell you everything now I will have nothing to tell you when I get back! Lol Honestly, I don’t think that I will ever be able to find the words to express how this experience made me feel. I can say that it changed my life (which it did) and I can say it was awesome (which it was) but none of these feelings really portray what I am feeling on the inside. I just hope that when I get back I will be able to better articulate how I felt in this situation. For now all I can say is that I have made many lifelong friends in Ghana and I cannot wait until I can return. I want to stay an active part of this community that I have fallen in love with. I left a piece of myself there and I look forward to the day that I get to go and get it back.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney..WOW I read all of the blogs and they are wonderful..Your experience in Ghana is priceless..Maybe you will write a book when you finish this amazing adventure...Love always Gpa

    ReplyDelete